Thursday, May 16, 2013

Hello, World

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." -Walt Disney

That's where the name of the blog comes from, and I felt I should pay homage to it (yes, I got it by watching Meet the Robinsons. It's a good movie). As good as that quote is, though, it's not quite what we're looking for here...

---

Hello, World! My name is Elder Jesse Richmond. Currently, I'm serving as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. We're often called the Mormons (as you may have noted from the bar to your left). If you have questions about our church, this site (Mormon.org) does an excellent job of explaining everything. If you want to learn more about the missionary program, there's more info here. I've even got a profile on the website; you can visit it and learn more about me and how I live my faith (Me!). 

Now that that's all out of the way...

Missionaries have many duties, many things we need to do. Honestly, though, I came on my mission to help people. Do I believe I can help people by teaching them? By knocking on their doors and inviting them to learn about our church? Yes. But people need other help, too.

In specific, I've found that a lot of people tend to get down and don't know how to get back up. The future, dark and dreary, seems to stretch ahead of them, and they can't see any light. They're not sure what to do: their circumstances aren't the best, and it doesn't necessarily look any better up ahead (I know I've definitely found myself in this situation).

I want to help these people. I want to help you. And, while this blog will talk about many other things, for now I just want to echo the words of Walt Disney (changing them to the imperative) and say:

Keep Moving Forward.

It'll be okay.

Keep Moving Forward.

You can do it.

Keep Moving Forward. 

The future looks terrible. It looks bleak. But, as one who's been in the dark and can't see the light, I can tell you that the only way to get out is to take that first step. Make an effort to find the light. It may not come quickly. The road may not be easy. But a brighter future is there, and you can find it if you're willing to try. All that matters is that you move, and that you move forward.

This blog will update every Thursday, that day in the middle of the week that stands in between the "hump" of the week and the glorious weekend. I've found a lot of people are a bit out of energy and motivation on Thursdays, and I hope I can help.

Until next Thursday, I leave you with the words of Elder Jefferey R. Holland, who has some great things to say on this subject: (Good Things to Come)

Keep trying. Keep smiling. Keep doing your best.

Keep Moving Forward.

-Elder Richmond

No comments:

Post a Comment